“Ye are of more value than many sparrows” – Matthew 10:31
Prior to the above statement we find Jesus speaking to those around Him about the provision and providence of God the Father. As an illustration Jesus points the crowd to notice how sparrows continue to thrive in nature because of God’s continued provision for them. What Jesus is trying to get at is this: don’t you think you mean more to God than a sparrow? Don’t you think you, as a person created in the image of God, have value?
One thing this generation struggles to see is personal value. This struggle is not unique to one gender. Young ladies and young men alike are dealing with this feeling of worthlessness. Where does that sense of having little to no value come from? That answer is loaded with possibilities. Here are a few:
- The lack of a positive relationship with one or both parents, especially the father
- The chaotic, undisciplined environment at home
- The presence of divorce
- Being bullied at school or in the home
- Not being accepted by peers
- Not fitting the mold that our culture has created for the individual
- Paying too much attention to magazines and what is praised by media (as far as external beauty)
- Getting bad grades
- Comparing one’s self with a sibling / friend / peer
- History of abuse (verbal, sexual, emotional, physical)
- Being fired / kicked off the team / not making the team
- Condemnation or guilt because of past sin (or current sin that one has yet to repent of)
The list could go on and on and on, but I think you get it. The devil has been playing this game with teenagers for generations. But he has amped up his game. You may be one who thinks very little of yourself. That way of thinking has often been confused with humility. Humility is recognizing that without God you can’t make it. Humility is realizing you didn’t make it this far on your own. Humility is not trying to be in front all of the time. Thinking that you have no value is not humility. That mindset is a deception of the enemy of your soul. That mindset has driven people to regrettable decisions as they try to find their value in relationships with people rather than with God; as they harm themselves thinking that is what they deserve; as they give in to drugs and alcohol to try to escape their sorrow; or even as they try to end it all by taking their own lives.
BUT YOU HAVE VALUE!
Christ gave you value when He died on the cross to save your life! God gave you value by giving you breath! There is a higher purpose for your life than you realize right now. Your earthly father or mother may not have been there, but your Heavenly Father always will be. This world may not accept you, no matter how hard you try to fit in; but you belong in the family of God! The devil will always try to deceive you into thinking that you matter to no one. But he has been lying since day one. YOU HAVE VALUE!
And that is the truth.